Saturday, May 24, 2008

Humid day at Swayback





I found out Mitch was planning a trip to Swayback and called him to verify he was still going as it appeared there was not much interest. He said he was and I met YetiGuy (Scott) and Shane at the airport exit. We headed down to Swayback and got ready to ride. We headed out following the Black trail. We followed the trail around and the first part flowed pretty well. We continued on around and came out on the power line trail. I think Scott and Shane were not liking our pace, so we decided to split up. We continued on around and it was a nice ride until we got to the back corner near the swayback bridge. I don’t know what happened, but this section wiped me out a lot more than usual. I think the humidity was affecting me a lot. We finished on up and sat in the parking lot talking to the group from Pensicola while eating a snack and refilling our camelbacks. We headed out to ride the black trail backwards this time. We figured we would run into Scott and Shane this way to make sure they were ok. This first section had the most elevation change and I was once again panting. We finally made it through and somehow I was making the correct turns and we were successfully riding it backwards. Once we got a bit into it it eased up and we were moving at a good pace. I almost took a wrong turn off one of the power line trails but we figured it out and made it around successfully. I had intended to do 3 laps, but after 2 I was satisfied. I probably could have ridden one of the short loops, but I think a whole one would have been more than I should have done. As long as I get another ride in this weekend, I will be satisfied.

No comments: