Sunday, February 24, 2008

Last Day, One last ride.


For our last day we decided to go back to Dupont and ride the same area we did the first day since Miles had never ridden there before. It was a beautiful day and since it was raining the first day I was looking forward to getting some pictures of the stuff I missed the first time out.

We parked and rode out and down Corn Mill Shoals Trail. This is a flat/slightly downhill section with a lot of dirt mounds good for jumping. I followed Jay and Joe and watched them jump off of everything in sight. I was following doing my best to hit everything also. We rode on down to the water just to see it before heading back up the trail.

We came to the Burnt Mountain trail and it was still closed. Jay had told us about how fun the downhill section was on this part of the trail, but I guess that is a good reason to come back later.

We climbed up and around Cedar Rock trail to the top of Cedar rock. Somehow I had already forgotten the trail, because lots of the parts looked different. Maybe it was because it was raining on our first day and I was just staring at the ground trying to pick a good line and this trip I was looking around more enjoying the scenery. The view from the top was great and we stopped to grab a snack before heading on.

We decided to descend Cedar rock and turn around and climb back up the steep side. We didn’t get to ride down this last time only up it. The descent was a lot of fun. I took the lead so I could stop near the bottom on the technical part to get a few pictures of everyone coming down. It was a lot more fun than I thought as I was trying to stay on the trail (which is marked by little piles of rocks) through the lichen on the rocks. Somehow the rocks were a lot rougher (with numerous indentions and cracks) than I remembered from climbing. It was an excellent technical descent and I was glad we decided to come this way. When I neared the bottom, I scoped out a rough section and snapped a few pictures of everyone coming down. I think Jim surprised himself and rode down this rock also.

At the bottom we turned around to do this “little” climb. I didn’t do as well as the first time and ended up putting a foot down in a couple places. I grabbed the camera and got some pictures of those who were chugging along. It was an excellent climb really only limited by my legs and my brain. Unfortunately the bike had plenty of traction (even in granny gear) so there was no excuse other than pure exhaustion (which means I need to ride more) to put a foot down.

We rode down big rock trail which was an excellent downhill with more rocks and jumps to play on while heading down. There was a rock at the bottom (3’ or so) that I was able to jump off of. It was so much fun, I did it a few times and I think someone got a picture, so I will add it if I can get a copy.

I don’t think anyone really wanted to leave yet, so we rode up around Longview, Rock Quary, Micajah, and Wilke trails before coming back out at the parking lot.

My bike definitely did well, but near the end started developing slight shifting problems. I know all the mud and gunk is all in the shifters and cable housings so a through cleaning is in order when I get home. I managed to get through the trip with no real problems (no flats, or broken parts). We went back to camp to clean up before we headed home. I got a few pictures of the cabins we stayed in. It was a great location and worked very well. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay close to Dupont/Pisgah.

Here is the link to the place we stayed:
http://www.blackforestcampground.com/

We headed home and I am really not looking forward to leaving yet. Looking at the maps, I realized we had only ridden a small part of Dupont, and the same could be said for Pisgah. I am really looking forward to returning in the future to ride more of this incredible trail.

Here is the link to all the Pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/grundcm/DupontNC2008_2_24

No comments: