Saturday, February 2, 2008

Sunburned in Feb




Went to Oak Moutain this morning for a ride with my sister and her husband. They had asked me last night to bring my old bike for one of their friends (Joe) who rides a road bike. We met at about 9:30 and I took my usual forever to get ready (but I was getting the other bike ready also). We finally got started at about 10:00. We headed down to the Paddle boad entrance as I was preparing to ride for a few miles and turn aound. My sister was regretting stopping spin class as she didn't quite do as well this trip as the previous one (she rode the whole thing). Near the beginning Joe decided to show his skills with an over the handlebar dismount. Everything seemed ok and there were no injuries admitted to. My sister made it to the BMX track and decided she had better turn around. Paul went with her but Joe wanted to keep riding. We decided to continue on and I let him set the pace. He was moving petty well and I could tell he rode regularly. He did really well, but was extremely cautious on the downhills. I know the trail was completely new to him as well as having to ride a borrowed bike. He rode almost everything except Blood rock. He had to be back by 12:45 and he was able to ride the whole thing. It took about 2:20 riding time and about 3 hours total time. We didn't have to stop too many times and I think with a few rides he could do a sub 2 hour lap. He seemed to have a reall good time and I hope he decides to make it back out again.

After I had eaten a sack I had about and hour to burn before I was supposed to meet Moran at 2 for a lap. I called him and told him to call me when he was finished with work and decided to ide a bit more. I rode up around the family trail and cleared a few of the muddy spots so the trail could dry. After this I spent a little time moving the pine at the entrance of the South Trailhead completely off the trail. I continued on up and tried to rake the pinestraw/leaves off the trail wherever it was muddy. I made it up and around Johnson's moutain and it was about 2:00 so I took the road back to Foreplay and rode back out on the trail. I chatted with a few people in the parking lot and tried to call Brian to see whee he was, but could not get ahold of him.

About 2:50 I decided I would ride to the noth trailhead and on my wa back I would do a bit moe trail cleaning to get in a few more miles. I was going at a relativey slow pace and ran into Blackagness from MTBR. He also has a motolite so I rode with him and we talked a little. He steped up the pace and said he was goig to ride the same thing I was, but when we got to the North Trailhead he asked if i wanted to head on up. I said sure and we headed on up I was feeling much better as we neared the top. We headed on around and during the climb on Johnson's my legs stated trying to cramp on me. I had to stay seated and then my hamstrings started trying to camp also. I just had to use low gears and spin up slowly but it finally passed. I finished on out and we stopped at my truck for a Beer before he headed back to his car.

I got home and my legs are pretty sore. I think the last lap was what I needed. I also realized my face is a little toasty. I cannot believe I got burned in February. We are plannig on going to Lake Lurleen tomorow and I am looking forward to practicing my jumping.

All the pictures are Here: http://picasaweb.google.com/grundcm/OakMountain2008_2_2

No comments: