Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nice Double but a bit of trouble

Well, I did end up missing the first lap at 8:00 as there was no way I was getting up at 6:45. I would have made it to Oak around 9:40 however after I had to turn around and drive back because I forgot my jersey I ended up getting there about 5 after 10. Linda and Mitch were getting back from their first lap just as I was getting there. I got ready and we took off heading Counter-Clockwise. Linda had never ridden this direction and was willing to give it a try. We cruised around the loop and I was feeling better than I thought for riding yesterday and not getting my regular 8+ hours of sleep. I also had to tape and bandage up my wound from yesterday’s wreck and I was afraid it would slow me down as I could feel it whenever I bent my leg, but after I got going I did not notice it anymore. We finished up the lap and I ate a bit today. After yesterday’s cramps, I knew I needed to eat between laps. After a quick snack Mal rode up. Monty and I decided to ride our second lap with him. We headed out for a clockwise lap. Mal set the pace pretty quick and it was about perfect for pushing me a bit, but still keeping me from wearing myself out. We made it to the North trailhead in about 41 minutes. This is just a few minutes behind one of my best times. We headed up the jeep trail and I could tell Mal was taking it a bit easy as he was turning a bigger gear than me (and the fact I was huffing and puffing at a few points when he was barely breaking a sweat). We cruised on down to blood rock and down to the base of Johnson’s mountain. Monty decided to head on back at this point and I was surprised that I was feeling pretty good and had no signs of cramping. We cruised on through this last section and for some reason I usually feel really good and like to push myself from here to the end. Mal continued to set a nice pace and we finished in the high 1:30’s riding time. I think we stopped for about 10 minutes, but I felt really good about such a quick second lap. I drank a beer in the parking lot while we relaxed. Monty was going to go to Chipotle to eat and I decided to try it instead of my usual McAlisters. It remided me of Moe’s when I first saw it, but the food was really good.

I got home and washed my bike as I finally had a little time and it was filthy since Saturday’s ride. As I was drying it off I found a crack in the frame. It is in the titanium part where the rear pivot connects right above the bottom bracket. I snapped a few pictures, but I have to go to Atlanta tonight and will not be back till Tuesday, so I will have to handle it then. I am a bit worried as I wanted to do the DSG race on the 3rd, but I am afraid it will take them a while to get it fixed and I may not have it back in time.

No comments: