Sunday, January 13, 2008

Back in the Saddle again



Well I am finally feeling better after being sick for a little over a week. It is really rare that I do not ride on a weekend and I missed last weekend because I was really sick. I was finally feeling a little better so I went out to Oak Mountain with Tommy, Matthew and Moran. We rode a loop counter clockwise and had a great time. Matthew managed to make it out and was riding the log rides like they were nothing. We rode a nice slow lap which was what I needed to see how I felt.

Monty had posted that he was going to ride on Sunday, so I joined him out there for a ride. There was a couple of people who had traveled down from Tennissee and Kentucky to Ride. We took off heading clockwise and Monty set a pretty quick pace. I learned the visitors had already ridden one lap and were starting their second. The guy was commenting on how Monty was pushing the pace pretty hard, but decided to push himself ahead and left our group. The girl rode with us for a few minutes and decided to catch the guy. I was hurting pretty good at this point and once they were out of sight we slowed the pace a little and I was finally able to recover a bit. They waited for us at the North trailhead, but we told them to not wait and headed up the hill. Heading down blood rock, I choose a poor route and found my front tire heading for a large root. Somehow I managed not to crash but did have to dab a foot. It was even up near the top where I don't usually even think about it. Anyway, we got down to the road and I hit Johnson's mountain. I was pushing myself a bit and finished up the loop. I got back to the parking lot and the out of towners were talking of riding a bit more. Since it was such a nice day, I decided to join them. I mentioned heading counter-clockwise and they both thought it was a good idea as I think they wanted to ride a different direction. I warned them that they may have to slow it down a little, but they assured me they were going to take it easy. We headed up Johnson's mountain and I was finally feeling pretty good. We got back to the road and they decided to head back.

I chatted with them in the parking lot for a few minutes and decided to ride a little more since I had nothing else to do that day. I headed Counter-clockwise with the intention to skip johnsons mountain, but ride the rest of the trail. I came out of the woods and ran into a couple of joggers. Without thinking, I just stayed on the trail. I decided to just ride on a little farther. I ended up riding a whole loop and it really felt good. It was a slower lap and near the end I started cramping pretty bad. I haven't had that problem in a long time. I guess it was due to being off the bike and out of the gym for 2 weeks. I am finally feeling better and am looking forward to next weekend.

No comments: