Saturday, January 19, 2008

SNOW in Alabama!







You are about to see something very rare. The chance to bike in the snow in Alabama. BUMP was supposed to have the 3rd Sat club ride today at 9:00. I had called Tommy last night and he said he could go about 10. I called him this morning about 9:15 and woke him up. He asked me to pick him up so we finally got out there about 10:20. It was snowing pretty good so we checked out the southernmost parking lot no one was there. We decided to park next to the canoe rental building so we could get to the trail easier. We got ready and hit the trail. The snow was incredible an the trail was a little muddy. I was a little worried that the trail would be hard to see, but it was no problem at all. I started out and my hands were frozen. I could not feel my fingers at all when we made it to the first log crossing. Our goal was to ride to the N trailhead and back so we could make sure Thomas the Gnome was enjoying the snow, but with the really slick roots and the mud we were considering turing around. I started feeling better and Tommy said he would just meet me at the north Trailhead. He headed back and I slowly made my way down the trail. I really enjoyed the scenery and stopped to take quite a few pictures. I finally warmed up and was really enjoying myself. I made it to Thomas and I offered to build him a fire to keep him warm, but he said he was doing fine. Near the north trailhead a couple was riding and went by as I was snapping some pictures. I was supprised to see anyone else out, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves. There was also a runner who ran to the north trailhead an back. Crazy people out in this weather. Finishing up my feet were frozen. My feet had gotten wet due to the mud so I drove home barefoot as I did not have dry socks. I got home and washed my bike off as I couldn't let it go to be dirty.

No comments: