Friday, October 19, 2007

Oak Mountain 2007_10_19

I had planned to slip out early to get a ride in today, but things got pretty bad at about 2:30 when i had planned on leaving at 3. I finally got everything back under control at about 3:30 so I was running a little late. I got to the park at about 4:10 and Tommy had already left. He left me a note saying he had gone Counter-clockwise, so I quickly got ready and left at about 4:20-4:25. I started out without warming up and my quads quickly started burning. I decided to slow down a bit and figured I would catch Tommy somewhere around the top of the mountain (assuming I started about 20 minutes after him). I got quite a surprise coming down Johnson's mountain when a tree was laying across the trail. I had both brakes almost locked up and stopped a few inches from the log. I never would have stopped in time with my old v-brakes. Continuing on up to blood rock I finally started warming up and I started feeling pretty good. I reached it at right at 30 minutes. This is a few minutes slower than I have ridden it before, but still decent for me. I once again attempted to ride up it, this time I took the rocks to the left of the normal path as it looks like it would line me up better for the turn at the tree, but I barely made it up the first few rocks before my wheel started spinning and I just didn't have it in me to fight any more. I pushed the bike over the majority and jumped back on to continue up to the jeep trail. I reached the jeep trail right at 32 minutes. I knew I should be able to get below an hour an a half so I took off up the hill. I crested the top and headed down and reached the bottom, this time not meeting any other bikers on the downhill sections. I think I keep getting a little more brave each time on this downhill. I reeached the North trailhead and there was still no sign of Tommy. I was starting to wonder at this point , but figured I would catch him eventually. I glanced at the clock and it read 51:30 so I knew I was still doing OK. I did run into a couple of hikers in the next section with the only TH of the trip (see Tommy's blog for TH definition). There was a guy sitting on the side of the trail resting and the girl tried to pull him out of the way when she saw me comming, but he just fell over backwards covering the whole trail. I briefly considered trying to bunny hop him, but thought better of it and slid to a stop. He was huffing and puffing like he just ran a few miles and slowly moved over to the side of the trail. I could tell the girl was a little frustrated and I thought how terrible it would be to get where it was all I could do to hike a half-mile or so before having to quit. The kid was not visually out of shape either. Anyway I continued on to chimney and half heartedly tried to ride the log at the bottom, but had to jump off the side as I was off balance from the beginning. I continued on and had no problems till camp trail. I was coming out of the woods onto the dirt road and there was a portly boy scout walking down the road. He turned and saw me and I swear could not decide what to do. It reminded me of a squirrel as he darted one way, changed his mind and went the other, and then decided he wanted to go the origional direction after all. All this while running down the road. I laughed and went on my way. The boy scouts must have just arrived because I met a van parked right in the middle of the road with doors open on both sides. I don't know why they don't pull off to one side, but there was someone in the van, so I locked up my brakes to let them know I wasn't real happy about having to stop. they just looked at me like I was an idiot, so I got off the road and went around. I had decided at this point that if I caught Tommy I was probably just going to go ahead and finish as I wanted to know my time. Finishing up I got back to the truck at 1:26:23. This is my best time to date with my previous best being about a 1:28. I was very happy with this time as I am sure I can take a few minutes off of it. Just to fill everyone in. Tommy decided to take the road back from the north trailhead. I believe he could have gotten his best time ever also, but he was afraid they would lock the gates at 6 and he would be stuck in the park all night. If you know Tommy you will know I am serious. I tried to reassure him I had bee there long after dark a few times and they never had locked the gates, but I don't know if he is convinced. I think he is ready to break the two hour mark now that the weather is nice.

No comments: