Sunday, October 21, 2007

Scared to Ride with me?

Once again I went to Oak Mountain. Moran was supposed to meet me there at 9:00 and about 9:15 I called him to see how long before I could expect him. Apparantly I woke him up and he said he wasn't going to ride. I should have known as quite a few beers were drank last night. Anyway, I finished getting ready quickly and left as I was supposed to meet Eddie at 11 for a second lap. I had forgotten the camera as I was trying to always bring it on the weekends to get a few pictures, but ran off without it this morning. Turns out it didn't really matter.

I decided to head out Clockwise as it seems like I rode CCW the last few times. Heading down the road to get to the lake entrance I was actually a littel chilly. I am glad I did not let Moran talk me into riding any earlier. I was trying to pace myself to ride a 1:45 lap and thought I was doing well as I was taking it pretty easy and got to the North Trailhead at about 38 minutes. Continuing up the jeep trail I realized I had made up a lot of time. Somehow I was going much faster over this section and made it to the top, right before the downhill at a little over an hour. I continued on and got to blood rock and I fell apart. Somehow I could not hold a line. The bike was amazingly forgiving as I was hitting all kinds of roots and rocks and should have gone over the handlebars multiple times but somehow the bike saved me. I rode on out trying to take it easy and not look at the clock, but I just have so much trouble not riding slow when I am alone. I finished and looked at the clock, to my amazement I had finished in 1:31. I have a lot more in me and may try for a good time one day after work or next weekend. I really feel like I have a very low 1:20's going this direction.

I decided to relax for a while as it was just 11:00, so I sat in the back of the truck and ate an energy bar and drank the remainder of the gatoraid I had carried with me as I didn't really drink very much while I was riding. I hung out till about 11:45 and decided to head on back out. I had a free sample of Hammer gel, so I took that and drank a little purple before I left. I decided to go CCW this time as I wanted to try to climb Blood Rock. Started off and rode up to BR, there were a lot more people on the trail than in the morning. I finally got there and attempted to ride up it. My back tire started spinning in the wet part right before the turn by the tree and I put a foot down. I coasted back down and tried again this time trying to get more speed but had the same result. Back to bottom and tried again. This time I geared down and tried to pedal up instead of hitting it with speed. I started spinning almost immediately and decided that I was once again defeated for the day. I headed on up thinking about it and I think I was in too low of a gear. I will try to gear up next time and I think it will help with traction as I shouldnt be able to spin it so easily.

At the junction of the Bump and the jeep there is a new log that someone cut ramps to ride. It is a short (6-8 ft) log but about 18 high at one end and 2' at the other. It has a slight left hand turn you have to make and it has a Y facing towards the lower end (that I was riding up onto it). This created a trap so if you dropped a tire off that side it would get caught in the Y and you were definately going over the handlebars. I tried this twice both times dropping a tire about the turn and managing to get the brakes on and a foot down before wrecking. On the third try I finally rode over it and dropped the tire off the tall side. I teetered precariously on the front wheel before it decided to go on ahead and I finally did it. I was pretty happy and looked up and an older woman on a bike was riding up looking at me like I was a fool. I bid her a good day and headed on my way.

I cruised on up and then down the Jeep enjoying the bike and the suspension. I had decreased the rebound on the front shock a little and I think it helped. I then came to the other log ride. I hit it sloppily and had to bail off the side. I decided to ride the bike back and do it till I got it right. The second time I had not trouble. I was having a great time through this section and even jumped the tree in the Southern Shire (Named by Tommy) This is the section after the BMX track road crossing up to the climb before Camp road. I was feeeling pretty good so I decided to try to cross the big tree right after camp road. It is around 18" tall and I have been a little scared to try it with the new bike. I aproached it hesitantly (I know this was a mistake) hopped the front tire up on it and jumped the bike. On my old bike I could hop the back wheel up to where the front is and ride off, but I was going a bit to slow and was scared. I slightly caught the chainring but made it ok. My foot popped off the pedal and I landed pretty sloppily, but I did not wreck. I have not wrecked this bike yet, and I am waiting because I know it will happen. I try stuff I should not be doing, but so far so good. Finally got back to the truck in 1:41. It was about 2:00 so I went ahead and packed up and headed to McAlisters. I stepped out of the truck and my right hamstring cramped up pretty bad. I crumpled against the truck and stod back up stretching it for a minute or two. I am sure this looked pretty strange to anyone watching, but I did not see anyone. I sat in the sun and ate all while keeping my leg stretched out. It felt like it was going to cramp on me again but never did.

Eddie sent me an apology e-mail when I was eating saying he got stuck doing work at home and couldn't make it. No worries, I had a good time. Today was a beautiful fall day with temps between 65-75. I enjoyed spending the day outside and woudl have been mad if I had wasted this day inside.

No comments: